Saturday 18 May 2013

Swooping Swallows

The electric wire looks very thick. It must be because when birds land on it,  it doesn't kill them. If you look at the heads of the swallows they are bright blue. I am so glad that I've got a swallow picture because I've never got a good swallow photo before. Only once I've got a swallow before but it was blurred and all the others were just blue or green. 

I like this photo because of the blue head and the white and black wings, and the wire twisted over and the pale blue sky. When I saw them on the wire I ran to get my camera and I came back and they there still sitting there, so I took my lens cap off and turned my camera on and I zoomed in and "whala" I've got them. I thought its a good photo,but then I noticed that one had flue up and then landed again on the wire.   


Same with this picture I just can not help taking pictures of the. Its just the white on its chest, to be far they are really nice birds. They were sitting on there because they lost there enijy or they were going to go back in to their nest. 


I wondered why swallows love cows so much. It's because of the bugs and insects. If you have a look if the very,very smelly barn you can see swallows nests, and I tell you this now, you dont want to step in that mud, its not very nice also you would not like to fall in to it because cow pats are a bit SLIPPY!. We did look at some of nests with a trained expert. One of the swallows nests had 4 eggs and a blue tits had 9 eggs. They were the size of a chocolate mini egg but the dangers are NOT TO EAT THEM!!!!!!!!!.


This is one of the barns that the swallows like to nest in.




15 comments:

  1. You've photographed one of my favourite birds, I wouldn't worry about that wire, it's a phone cable/line, they're probably trying to ring home lol. As for the cows you're right it's the insects the swallows are after but also the mud to build their nests, great post Harley, wait for the youngsters to hatch and start flying around, they'll probably sit on that wire waiting for their parents to feed them, plenty more photographs to take then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures of the Swallows Harley.

    I can imagine how that cow shed smells just by looking at your photo...luuuuverly!

    I always wonder where the bird that lays those chocolate eggs lives?..!!

    Looking forward to some more of your Swallow pics...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Harley. You're a natural at this blogging.
    Great catch of the Swallow flying too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great swallow shots!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swallows are pretty, love the colors. Great post and photos, Harley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching swallows but never manage to get a photo. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super post Harley. I loved every bit of it, and your photos are excellent. When the young Swallows fledge, you will be really entertained - they can be very noisy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic shots of the Swallows Harley' I have just spent the evening at Acton Bridge watching them... without my camera Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of the swallows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swallows are one of my favorites and not easy to photograph. These are great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great post and terrific shots Harley!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Last year they nested in my big shed that was meant for a studio. They have lots of nests in our shearing shed and when we kept a milch cow, we had half a dozen nests in the barn she spent the night in. We milked her in the morning and the calf had her during the day. We have a twisted wire like that for our electricity supply to the shearer's quarters and the swallows love to sit on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice pictures - and glad to have another of your family on board the good ship WBW!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete